I am totally new at this.

It will take me a little to get the hang of this so please be patient. Thanks!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mod Podge For The First Time User


Things you will need...


- I have only ever used gloss and matte. I used gloss on my dresser... which I will post later. I did not like it. (Maybe because Im pregnant and it smelled really bad) I have noticed the matte does not have as strong of an odor and I like the finish the matte gives








- A paint brush... I have read a lot of tutorials on mod podge and some people swear by the foam brushes. I personally dont like them. If its a big project definitely foam but I rarely do a big project so I have designated one brush to being my mod podge brush.











-An old credit card, giant card, license ect. DO NOT start the project with out this handy. I have ruined many things by not having my cc handy.
















-A nail file.











-Lastly paper towels.








For this example we are going to imagine we are mod podging a plaque with scrapbooking paper.

To begin-
Start by brushing on a very thin layer of mod podge on the plaque. You DO NOT want to use to much. It is much harder to get the air bubbles out.

Brush on a thin layer of mod podge onto your scrapbooking paper (that should already be cut to size). Place the paper onto the plaque and align perfectly.

Then, with your credit card, start in the middle and work your way out pressing firmly. You will see a little mod podge come out as all the air bubbles are suppressed. Using your paper towel, wipe the excess mod podge. This is where it is important to use minimal mod podge. If you use an excessive amount you will have globs coming out.

Next, after you apply the paper and scrap out the bubbles use a nail file to sand the edges and make the paper blend with the plaque.

Then brush a thin layer on top and let sit for about 20 minutes. Apply another coating. I usually apply 2-3 layers depending on what type of materials I am using.

And WAAALA! You have experienced the magic of Mod Podge.

No comments:

Post a Comment